Using water-based markers in the home and classroom will protect your child from inhaling the toxic fumes that alcohol and solvent-based markers give off.
Alcohol and solvent-based markers (such as permanent markers) can contain harmful chemicals such as xylene, toluene, and acetone. These chemicals are also known as VOCs—or volatile organic compounds. Studies have shown that VOCs can cause disorientation, nausea, eye, throat, or nose irritation, and even cancer in animals. Children are especially susceptible to air pollutants, so keep yours safe by supplying them with markers containing water-soluble ink that is non-toxic.
Try to find markers with a seal of approval from the Art and Creative Materials Institute (ACMI-AP) or the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)—this certifies that they have passed testing for dangerous amounts of toxins. They can be found in the stationary aisle of most craft-stores, office supply stores, and grocery stores. Water-based markers even have an extra advantage—easy clean-up!
Did you know that overexposure to xylene, a toxin found in solvent-based markers, can cause toxicity to the nervous
The nervous system controls your reactions to internal and external stimuli. That means that
the fumes released from solvent-based markers can impact your brain, nerves, and spinal cord.
you know that children are more susceptible to the effects of toxins?
During childhood, a child’s
brain, nervous system, and lungs are still developing, and particularly susceptible to damaging substances that are
introduced into their system. Because of their lower body mass (in relation to an adult), the same dosage of chemicals will
have a greater effect on children.