Tournesal Siteworks Interior Greenwall System
This years’ 2009 GreenBuild International Conference and Expo drew more than 27,000 architects, developers, and builders & innovators.
1,800 exhibitors showcased their wares, including sustainable materials such as recycled wood flooring; energy and water efficiency products including rainwater harvesting systems and vertical wind turbines, all for building greener, healthier homes, office buildings, schools and healthcare facilities.
From them, we’ve selected our Top 5 Green Products for Retail and Business Interiors (incorporated into LEED AP BD&C or ID&C)
1. Green door mats by EcoPath piqued our interest with their entryway carpet systems that are backed with a natural rubber and a 100% post-consumer recycled backing. We had some questions about the polyurethane backing but apparently it replaces large percentages of petroleum-based components in its polyurethane chemistry with a material made from soybean plants. www.ecopathmats.com
2. C-Stone Tree Free Paper- I’m still not sure how “green” it is since recycling “paper” made of stone would be an issue in most places, but the C-Stone tree free paper stumped the Stone Association, the cradle to cradle people, and just about everyone else I asked. Made from 80% calcium carbonate from limestone with 20% non-toxic resin (HDPE- high density polyethylene), this stuff is durable, but is it possible that it’s too durable to be used for magazines and most paper uses? www.aquacgreenpublishing.com
3. Tournesol Siteworks’s TerraScreen Interior Greenwall System is an easy green wall solution consisting of steel modules of 6” grow pots that connect together giving the appearance of a uniform wall of green foliage. www.tournesolsiteworks.com
4. Pioneer Millworks reclaimed and sustainable wood floors are U.S. made and include FSC certified woods. Although initially hesitant to create an engineered flooring product, they made sure their engineered floors were thicker, U.S. sourced and made with no added formaldehyde. www.pioneermillworks.com
5. Iron Age Design offers distinctive recycled cast iron drain grates, tree grates and other architectural castings. All castings are made from recycled product and are ADA compliant. www.ironagegrates.com
More from ecomii: